Saturday 28 March 2015

Module 1: Task 2c - Reader Two Questions

Have you ever known something before you realise what it means to you?
I've pondered over this question for a few days now, still unsure as to what it really means. I've come up with an answer that I believe fits this question. Throughout my time at performing arts college, we as students were constantly told that the industry is cut-throat and extremely difficult to get into. And everytime it was said, I knew it was true but just never thought about how it would effect me personally. Upon graduating, I had my first performance job straight away and was naive to think the jobs would come flooding in after that. After many auditions to no avail, I then knew that I was no exception to this cut-throat and difficult business. Therefore, the answer is yes!

At which point in Kolb's cycle do you feel you enter learning?
I definitely enter Kolb's learning cycle at Reflective Observation. With almost every task I've completed, I have looked to other course members blogs to get an idea of what needs to be done. From there, I can then learn from my experience of seeing the other blogs and try it out myself. I find myself entering this part of the cycle for many situations. 

Think about an idea you really like. Think about why that idea would appeal to you?
I find this question difficult and I'm still not entirely sure if I fully understand it. But I'm going to give it a try. I have always liked the idea of starsigns and horoscopes. I often find a lot of truth in my horoscopes and the characteristics of my starsign. However, if I think a bit deeper, do I just enjoy the idea of horoscopes because I like excuse it gives me to act a certain way? 

Reading the chapter 'Using Journal Writing to Enhance Reflective Writing' by David Boud, how can journal writing be done and how can it be assessed? 
David Boud talks about reflective writing as a process of turning experience into learning. He very much backs up Schon's idea of 'reflection-in-action' and 'on-action'. Although, as much as it is important to reflect whilst events are occurring, Boud emphasises the importance of reflecting away from the action later in the day. 

Boud explains there are many different occassions for reflection and the importance of reflecting in these different ways.
Reflection in Anticipation - The thought and preparation that goes into planning ahead for an event and what you anticipate will happen.
Reflection in the midst of action - This is how we react to what is currently happening in a situation including the use of 'reflection-in-action'.
Reflection after events - Returning to the experience later and having time to contemplate what has happened.

Boud mentions Moon's ideas on reflective practice multiple times, including her thoughts on the appropriateness of assessing journal writing. Boud believes that journal writing can be assessed but it must be made clear before journal writing begins as to whether it will be public or written purely for private reflective thoughts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment