Tuesday 24 March 2015

Module 1: Task 2a - My Personal Journey

My personal journey on the BAPP Arts course so far has been a mixture of emotions. Although the work load seemed daunting at first, I felt if I prioritised the work well enough it wouldn't be a problem. However, since actually starting to try and fit the work around my daily routine it hasn't been as easy as I initially thought. Plans and daily routines can change unexpectedly and this is something that has then made coursework lower in my priorities. I'm perservering with the idea of assigning an hour or two a day to work on my blog, do some reading or commment on other blogs. Even if I don't always manage to fit it in, I'm at least aware of the time I have missed and what I need to catch up on. The work itself I am finding extremely interesting. I enjoy the relevance that the course has to my career and I can already see the benefits to what I am learning.

The past couple of weeks I have been hard at work on the reflective tasks of module one. As mentioned in a previous blog post, I initially struggled with the idea of writing a journal. Mainly due to the time factors of having to find slots in the day to sit and write what had happened. However, since trying out the different methods in Reader Two, I have been able to explore reflective writing and discover which methods work best for me. One method I've found beneficial when writing my journal, is the evaluative questions (What did you think went well? What worked? Did you learn anything? Things to avoid?). These questions are relevant to my teaching practice and allow me to get straight to the point of the moment I am reflecting on. They help keep my reflections of the day detailed and precise. 

Another method that I have been using more recently, is voice recording. As mentioned in my previous blog post, it was a method suggested during the Skype session with Adesola. Being someone with a performance background, I am comfortable with expressing myself vocally. It's easier for me personally, to be able to record myself explaining what happened during the day aloud as opposed to through written word. I can then listen back to it and reflect on the same moment as many times as I wish. Finally, a method I use when I'm pushed for time is making a quick list of things I wish to reflect on at a more convenient moment. It acts as a prompt to remind me of what I need to go over in more detail. 

With regards to ethical considerations, it's important that whenever I refer to my journal in blog posts or other public writing, that I work to anonymise anybody mentioned. Therefore, any names mentioned will be pseudonyms.

Through my exploration of journal writing and reflection, the advice I would pass on to other BAPP Arts course members is to perservere trying as many different methods as possible. Eventually, you will find one that works best for you and allows you to reflect to the best of your ability. It's useful to remember that different methods of reflection will suit different moments and you don't have to comitt to just one method throughout the journal writing process. 






No comments:

Post a Comment