Sunday 17 April 2016

First Draft...

I have finally fully completed my first draft and sent it to Paula to have a look at. 

The whole inquiry really has been insightful and what has surprised and impressed me most is my place of work are so supportive of the Arts in education! They completely agree that the arts should be used more to improve children's learning. However, the issues surrounding why there is a lack of performing arts within the curriculum come from much higher up in the education system. 

These issues that have arisen from my inquiry have helped me to think about how I should present my artefact. During an online session, Paula asked us why our inquiries were important. One of my reasons was that this inquiry would (hopefully) give me a leg to stand on in the ongoing debate of the importance of Performing Arts in education. Therefore, I am thinking of doing my artefact not too dissimilar to a political manifesto. 

My inquiry explored growth mindset and how it is being used within my school and the affects it is having. I spoke to my boyfriend's Mum (who is a primary school teacher) and she said that her school have just recently began implementing a growth mindset also (bare in mind her school is in a different part of the country). It is clearly something that is taking off and having the desired benefits. During my inquiry, I discovered that performing arts have a very similar use in education. They encourage, motivate, build resilience and enstill a positive attitude to learning. That being said, I hope to use growth mindset to support my argument for advocacy in performing arts. If so many schools can implement Growth Mindset, why are performing arts not being given the same chance? 

Using the research and evidence I have gathered from my inquiry, I would like to create a short video where I discuss and debate my reasons for supporting arts in education; much like a politician would pose their policies. I am still developing this idea so any feedback is greatly welcomed! 




1 comment: