Wednesday 22 April 2015

Module 1: Task 3c - Sources of Information

As a teacher, I rely heavily on the internet for my resources and information. Here are my top five sources that I use regularly. 

Spotify - Spotify is initially a free music player. It's similar to YouTube in the way that you can search for any song or artist and listen to it for free. I pay a monthly subscription so that I am able to listen to music when I'm not connected to the internet and free from any advertisements. It is extremely useful to have this resource, as it means I am able to get the latest chart music which pleases my students. It means that I have music wherever I am, from any device. It also helps my reflection-in-action process, as I can change the plan there and then if something isn't working. For example, if I'm teaching a routine to a young age group and they are finding it too difficult, I am able to find a slower piece of music on the spot. The only implication to this is the suitability of the music. I have to be very wary of curse words or inappropriate subject matter, which isn't always noticable on first glance of a song title. To try and avoid this from happening, I try to stick to songs that are from the 'Now That's What I Call Music' albums, as they are child-friendly but still have the latest chart-toppers.

YouTube - I think we can all agree that YouTube is a phenomenon. The uses and possibilities are endless. I use YouTube for a variety of things but within my professional practice I use it for inspiration and ideas. If I'm ever given a theme for a dance and I'm struggling for what to choreograph, I look to YouTube to provide me with an answer. It gives an array of ideas from dances on television shows or films, to dances that a random user uploaded from their living room. It is this variety that allows me to gather all the inspiration together, and recreate something original of my own. The implications of this are obvious. I have to be careful not to copy anything directly as for some videos, it would breech copyright laws. Therefore, if my work was ever filmed and uploaded to the internet and spotted copying someone else's work, I could be at risk of prosecution. 

Equity - Equity is a network of professionals within the performing arts industry who are able to receieve help or advice on issues within the workplace. As a member of Equity, I am able to get in touch with their staff should I ever have an issue at work with pay, injury, treatment etc. Being a member of Equity also provides me with my Public Liability Insurance which I couldn't do my job without. I rely on their advice and support. 

Email - My email account is my key line of contact. It's through my emails that I keep in touch with the companies I work with/for, how I invoice my boss, how I keep in touch with the schools I work at and how I contact parents of pupils if needs be. It is an instant way of contacting those I need to and I can recieve replies no matter where I am with the use of emails on my smart phone. The implications to sending and receiving emails is being sure to word them correctly and suitably for the situation. I'm always sure to be polite and use the appropriate language. As well as this, I must be sure to keep my emails confidential if any personal infomation is shared about any of my pupils. 

Google - I rely on the search engine Google for many things. I search for sheet music, information on various professionals, scripts, articles for research and many other resources. If I'm planning a lesson and need some new game ideas, I turn to Google to find me the answers. The whole internet is at your fingertips with Google and although it is extremely useful there are downsides. I must check that any information I find, or articles I read, are from a reliable source. Not all information sourced on the internet is entirely true and I must be sure that whatever I'm reading can be believed. Another implication to the use of Google, is being wary of illegal downloads. If I search for sheet music or scripts, I make sure that the websites are legal. It's normally fairly obvious that if a whole film script is available to print for free, then something isn't quite right. Illegally downloading scripts or music of any kind without the correct copyrights can lead to prosecution.

In some ways, I am subconciously relying on the BAPP Arts course to provide me with information and knowledge on my professional practice. Without the use of other course member's blogs, I would struggle with what to do next. I rely on others to reassure me I'm on the correct lines of thought when writing my blog posts. I would like to mention a couple of blog posts that have helped me with the last couple of tasks.

Katrina Wilson - www.katrinawilson1989.blogspot.co.uk

Due to heavy traffic on my way home from work, I missed out on the third Web Seminar. I found Katrina's post on what was discussed in the Skype session extremely helpful when trying to catch up. It also helped me understand Task 3b a little more after my first look at Reader 3, so be sure to check it out if you're struggling. 

Danielle Austen - www.danniausten.blogspot.co.uk

After reading Reader 3 and working out what Task 3b involved, I was daunted and slightly confused. After reading Danielle's Task 3b post, I was able to make a lot more sense of what it was I needed to do. I have now gone on to complete the task and understand professional networking on a much deeper level. It's an interesting read, so please check out her blog. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eleanor,

    You say that you look to YouTube for inspiration. If this was for a dance routine how much of a routine do you feel it would be acceptable to 'copy' to teach your students? For example if there was a popular song and they wanted to learn the routine from the video? Do you find that acceptable?

    Do you ever post videos of your students or yourself performing online for them to learn from?

    I also use YouTube as a source for script ideas in drama classes. I know we have to be very careful with copyright issues. However, if the information is only being used in a class environment and not for performance purposes do you think that make a difference?

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete